Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Lordotic Much???

One of the most common errors I was guilty of as a student (and as a new technologist) was having a lordotic chest x-ray any time I did an AP view in the stretcher. There is a simple fix to this that I have yet to see in a textbook, but I have heard literally dozens of technologists use this tip: angle perpendicular to the sternum. Here's what your AP chest should look like; with emphasis on curvature of the ribs and the amount that the clavicles dip down into the apices:



And how here's what a portable chest sometimes looks like if you make your central ray perpendicular to the cassette:



I know what you're thinking... "Why is it that in a PA standing chest, this doesn't happen and I'm using a perpendicular beam?" Well, when you perform the PA standing chest, what do you do? You roll the patient's shoulders foreward so that the sternum is up against the bucky, making it parallel to the IR. Think about this... if you were to leave the patient in the same position and simply turn them around to be facing the tube, you would probably be able to make a fist and place it between their shoulders and the bucky. Let's look at this lateral projection for a point of reference:



The red line indicates the central ray passing through the sterno-clavicular joints. This patient's back is almost vertical, as it would be if placing a film behind them for the AP sitting chest, and there is not much lung field above the sterno-clavicular joint. You might have to lean this patient forward for the AP projection to demonstrate the clavicles in the lung field at all. Now if I angle perpendicular to the sternum, it will project the clavicles down into the apices as it would if I were rolling the shoulders forward for a PA projection:



Another common error that produces similar results is patient positioning in the stretcher. Ideally, you need the patient sitting upright with the stretcher at 90 degrees with your cassette behind the patient. What you want to do is have the patient scoot (or you may need to slide them before you sit them up) so that they are bending at the waist with the stretcher. You don't want a gap between their hips and the upright portion of the stretcher. This elevates the clavicles, making a lordotic position similar to the standing lordotic chest we all learned about in school and shown here:



If you combine this error with the previous error of not angling to the sternum, the resulting image could be horrid. Check out the following picture:



The first central ray would produce a lordotic image with a foreshortened lung field due to the angulation of the patient (caused by not having the hips flush against the stretcher). The second central ray would project the clavicles downward into the apices as needed, but would probably produce an elongated effect due to the patient's hips being away from the IR. The lower lung fields have increased OID, causing magnification which may cause the radiographer to be unable to include the entire lung field on the image.

For best results, keep it simple: sit the patient up as much as possible, bending at the waist where the stretcher flexes. Prevent OID on all of your film, and angle perpendicular to the sternum to avoid a lordotic projection (and don't forget to shield).

6 comments:

  1. Thank yo sooo much for this entry. I just found your blog. I am a new RT student in my 1st clinical rotation. I am trying to learn portables but cannot seem to ever get the angulation right. I am going into my 4th week and I can tell the techs are starting to get aggravated (at least it feels that way) with me b/c I can't do portables on my own yet. I will try your suggestion and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank yo sooo much for this entry. I just found your blog. I am a new RT student in my 1st clinical rotation. I am trying to learn portables but cannot seem to ever get the angulation right. I am going into my 4th week and I can tell the techs are starting to get aggravated (at least it feels that way) with me b/c I can't do portables on my own yet. I will try your suggestion and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the same sentiments as melissa. the next time i go on a portable i'll try this. my technique and everything is great, but its those stupid clavicles. thanks for the input

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the same sentiments as melissa. the next time i go on a portable i'll try this. my technique and everything is great, but its those stupid clavicles. thanks for the input

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your help i am a 3rd year student but i upto now struggle with portables tried every trick that i can think of but rarely get it right you have explained this and now i see where u r coming from. am gonna try it on monday as am on my 2nd portable assessment. wish meluck

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great when you have nice image and technique. But... more than 50% of portable CXRs ordered to check fluids, and the only correct way dong this is to direct your CR parallel to floor.

    ReplyDelete

Here's a Quick Way to Speed Up Your Xray Exams

Beginning your clinical rotation in x-ray school can be overwhelming.  Not only are you plunged into a new environment, you are expected ...