Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Employment Survey Results

Back in October of 2012, I posted a survey about the employment situation across the country and asked six questions relating to the job market aimed at new graduates from radiography school.  With any survey, the more responses received, the more accurate the results.  I received 30 responses to my questions, and here they are:








The results were anonymized, but it seems there are a range of responses across the board.  I know the job market is not as good as when I graduated from x-ray school in 2000, but if these responses are representative of the national average, I have seen worse. 

In my book, Becoming a Radiologic Technologist, I explained the criteria that a radiography program must have 75% of its graduates employed (in any tech job) within 6 months of graduation.  I would be interested in speaking to any of my readers who represent JRCERT to learn more about the re-accreditation process and statistics about radiography program probation due to low employment statistics. 

Until then, it seems that the market is competitive.  Like any field, that's not to say every graduate is guaranteed a job right out of school, or even a full-time day job.  There are positions available, but keep an open mind to the possibility that you may need to relocate, accept undesirable shifts, or have some delays in finding an ideal position.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeking an education in radiography, but you need to love what you're doing and be prepared for competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's a Quick Way to Speed Up Your Xray Exams

Beginning your clinical rotation in x-ray school can be overwhelming.  Not only are you plunged into a new environment, you are expected ...