Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"Why do x-rays take so long?"

Normally, I don't speak much about too many personal things here, but I couldn't pass this story up knowing you would appreciate it.  I just put my son to bed (he's 5) and this was our conversation:

Son:  Hey Daddy... why do x-rays take so long?

Me:  They don't take that long... don't you remember when I took you for x-rays when you broke your arm?

Son:  No... I broke my arm?!

Me:  Yep.  You fell at home and I took you to the hospital I worked at and held you in my lap while someone else took x-rays of your arm.  It only took a couple of minutes.

Son:  But you're gone all day long when you take yours!  I thought you just sit in front of the thing that takes the x-rays and then you look at your bones.

Me:  Well, lots of people need x-rays every day.  Sometimes we do about 200 x-rays every day on lots of people that need them because they are hurt or sick.  That can take all day.

Son:  Oh... I thought you just take your own x-rays of yourself all day and come home.

I would hate to see me radiation badge reading if he was right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's a Quick Way to Speed Up Your Xray Exams

Beginning your clinical rotation in x-ray school can be overwhelming.  Not only are you plunged into a new environment, you are expected ...