Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shoe Fitting Fluoroscope

I found this link that was posted on one of the AuntMinnie forums that I was reading.

The Shoe Fitting Fluoroscope is something that you might hear about from an older generation (or two... or three), but it is something that I have commonly referenced during lectures and received more than a few blank stares.

This is a great article, explaining some of the dangers of radiation exposure to the extremities in severe cases where feet or entire legs had to be amputated due to excessive radiation burns.

The construction of the machine has a viewing device similar to what Spock (oldschool Spock, Leonard Nimoy) used to look through on the bridge of the Enterprise when Captain Kirk asked him for a status report, and he would spout out a completely logical, statistic-based answer... my rambling is showing how much of a geek I am.

Back to the point, which is the absence of Image Intensifiers... basically, the x-ray beam is pointed straight up at the viewing eye station; yikes! Anyhow, I found this to be a fun, interesting read.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeremy, nice article. First time I have heard of this device (shoe fitting fluoroscope). Any new invention (x-ray machines in this case), has a period of trial and then fascination before better sense prevails. I found your blog on a google search in a radiology blog directory. Perhaps one of the best I have come across. I have just started a blog dedicated to teaching ultrasound and Doppler using ultrasound videos at: http://ultrasound-videos.blogspot.com/
    Joe Antony, MD.

    ReplyDelete

Here's a Quick Way to Speed Up Your Xray Exams

Beginning your clinical rotation in x-ray school can be overwhelming.  Not only are you plunged into a new environment, you are expected ...